Custom Search

Monday, February 23, 2009

Hominy Casserole

This is hominy casserole. Hominy is corn that has been soaked to get rid of the outer hull, leaving it with a softer texture. I really like hominy, but it's hard to come across recipes that use it. The most common recipes are menudo or pozole, but I never make either of those. So I was excited when I found this easy recipe that uses it as one of the main ingredients.
Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
1/2c. chopped bell pepper
1/2c. onion (optional)
1 can white hominy, drained
1 can yellow hominy, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can green chiles
1/2t. salt
1/4t. pepper
1c. grated cheese
Brown the hamburger, when it is no longer pink add the bell pepper and onion (if using) and cook for about three minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, except cheese. Spoon into baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Add cheese the last 10 minutes.
I served this with cornbread and it was very good. I think it would be good with a cornbread crust which I might attempt next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails