Custom Search

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Breadsticks

Monday night we had spaghetti with meat sauce and breadsticks. Spaghetti is pretty much a staple in our home because it's so inexpensive and my girls love it. Normally, I serve it with toast instead of garlic bread because it's less expensive, but lately I've really wanted breadsticks. The first recipe I used I didn't much care for, so, I tried another one. These ones turned out really well. They were light and fluffy and very delicious.
Here's the ingredients:
1 1/2c. hot water
2T. sugar
1/2t. salt
1/2c. dry milk
1T. yeast
~3c. flour
1/3c. melted butter
First disolve the sugar, salt and milk in the hot water. Next add 1 cup flour to make a soupy mixture. When water is warm but no loner hot, add yeast and stir well.
Add the rest of the flour and knead until smooth.
Roll into rectangle shape. Spead 1/2 butter onto pan and then place dough in pan and spead the rest of the butter on top of the dough. Top with garlic salt, parmesan, shredded cheese, etc. and cut into slices.
Let rise 15-20 minutes.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
This would also make a good pizza dough. I would add the sauce after the butter and the rest of the toppings after it had risen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails