Custom Search

Friday, January 30, 2009

Spanish Rice and Enchilda Style Burros

Thursday night we had Mexican food. I was raised in a town that had the BEST mexican food ever. I myself cannot make it that awesome, but I'm not bad. Since there is no meat in this recipe, it's fairly inexpensive. You could always add red or green chile with shredded beef to the burros if you prefer. (Burros=burrittos, depending on where you're from). Here are the ingredients for the spanish rice:1 1/2c. rice, 1 can tomato sauce, 3 cups water, 1/4t. minced garlic, 1/2t. cummin, 2T. Caldo con sabor de Pollo, olive oil Place olive oil in skillet (enough to lightly coat), add garlic and rice. Next, brown the rice. Once rice is browned add remaining ingredients. Be sure to add the liquids slowly. Stir just enough to mix together and then bring to a boil.
Once boiling, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
It should look like this when done.
If you want you can add a can of drained corn, but it's up to you.
For the bean burros you will need: refried beans, butter, sour cream, cheese, tortillas (not pictured). If you want them enchilada style, then you will also need enchilada sauce. Normally I make my own sauce, which tastes much better, but this time I used store bought. To get rid of the canned taste of the beans I add butter and sour cream to taste, usually about 1-2T each. You can do this or not, but it does improve the flavor.
To make your burro, place some beans and cheese in the center of a buttered tortilla.
Next, fold in the sides.
Then fold in the corners to keep the beans from spilling out.
Roll. Repeat.
Place in a dish and cover with enchilada sauce and cheese and bake at 350 degrees F until cheese is melted.
Serve with your rice and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. wow , that looks so simple, i am one that is always worried about trading recipes - so I have always only used 1 recipe, but it is a lot more work then yours! I will have to try this one this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This rice looks very much like my Mexican aunt in Guadalajara would make us on special occasions. I love Spanish rice. I was wondering.... where are you from?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails