Custom Search

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Easy Eggrolls

Last night for dinner we had eggrolls with white rice to celebrate Chinese New Year. Granted they were fairly americanized eggrolls, but they were still quite delicious and very easy to make.Ingredients: 1 package eggroll wraps (found in the produce section), 1 can chicken or cut up chicken breast, 1 can Chop Suey, 1 bunch green onions, oil for frying.Empty chicken with water into frying pan and cook until there is no more liquid.
While chicken is cooking, chop up onions.
Move chicken to one side and add onions. Cook for about a minute.
Drain chop suey and place in bowl.
Add chicken and onions and mix well.
Next, get a small bowl of water to use to roll your eggrolls. The water is what will seal the eggrolls, so oil doesn't get in when you cook them. Place one wrap on a flat surface. Place about 2T. of the mixture diagnally in the wrap. Next dip your fingers in the water and run them along the top and side edge.
Roll up the bottom corner of the wrap.
Fold the two sides into the center.
Roll. You can go over the seam with more water if it seems like it needs it.
While you are making the eggrolls, heat up your oil.
Drop them in and cook until they start to turn a golden brown. Place them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
Serve with white rice. We use La Choy Sweet and Sour sauce and a mustard/soy sauce mixture to dip the eggrolls in.
On the off chance we have left overs (which we didn't last night), I like to place a slice of cheese on top before microwaving them.
These can also be frozen prior to frying.

6 comments:

  1. I had always done the same recipe, but after reading this I think we will try something new! If you want to try mine let me know, i'll e-mail the recipe - and I have an awesome Sweet and sour sauce recipe - all natural and really fast to make! - thanks for the recipe my husband will be thankful for the variety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always up for a new recipe and I'd love to try and make my own sweet and sour sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so my eggroll recipe is:
    1 lb ground beef
    1/2 head of cabbage
    1/2 to 1 cup grated carrot
    1 onion diced
    1/4 cup soysauce

    you cook the ground beef with the onion, and as soon as the meat is no longer pink you add the rest of the ingredients, I cover and let it cook on low till the cabbage is no longer crunchy. then spoon about 2 Tbs in each eggroll.

    My sweet and sour recipe is:
    1/3 cup white vinegar
    4 T. brown sugar
    1 T. Ketchup (I use the all natural kind)
    1 t. soysauce
    Mix and bring to boil
    then add:
    2 t. cornstarch (already mixed with 4 t. water) or if you like a thicker sweet and sour sauce use 4 t. cornstarch with 4 t. water.

    We find that 1 recipe of eggrolls is perfect for 1 recipe of sauce, so if we double one, we go ahead and double both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet! I didn't know you had this blog going. I've been looking for a good eggroll recipe! I'm excited to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails