Custom Search

Friday, October 30, 2009

Chicken Black Bean Soup

I live in Arizona and normally it doesn't become soup weather until close to Christmas; however, the last couple days have been quite chilly and a hearty soup was just what we needed to keep the chill away.
Ingredients:
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
2 cloves garlic (or 1/2 t. minced garlic)
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/2 t. ground cumin
1 can green chilies
1 small can sliced olives (optional)
4 c. (or 2 cans) chicken broth
1 can black beans
1 c. sour cream
2 chicken breasts shredded or cubed
*If you would like this spicy add in El Pato sauce
Directions: Saute butter, garlic and onion until onion is soft. Add flour and to make a roux. Add broth slowly to avoid clumps. Add cumin and green chilies and bring to a rolling boil. Boil until soup starts to thicken. Once thickened add chicken, olives and beans and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
The first picture is without the El Pato sauce. My girls will not eat anything spicy, so I simply leave the can of El Pato out and my husband and I add it into ours afterwards which works out quite nicely since he likes his spicier than I do.


This is the soup with the El Pato. You can add cheese on top or eat with tortilla's or tortilla chips or just by itself. This soup is a favorite for all of us and I love that I can make it spicy for my husband and I and plain for my girls.

For those who don't know, El Pato is mexican tomato sauce. So, basically it is tomato sauce with chilies. It is excellent for mexican dishes.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good. My husband loves soup and I need a few new ones to try so we don't keep having the same ones.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails