Custom Search

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent

This really isn't a food recipe, but it was too good not to share. I saw a recipe for liquid laundry detergent here and it not only looked super easy, but was really cheap--like $2.50 for 160 loads. I like powdered better, so that's what I made. If you would like to make your own detergent and save a ton of money here's how:

You'll need (for approx 480 loads):
Borax--$3-$4
Zote--$1
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda--$3-$4 (NOT Baking soda)
this can be found in grocery stores, the top two at Walmart
Grate the bar of Zote. Add 3 cups of Borax and 3 cups of Baking Soda. Place in food processor to chop Zote into finer pieces. (The other two help make the Zote not so waxy, so it doesn't stick to your blades.)

Viola! You are now done. Place it in a sealable container. Use 1 tablespoon for small and medium loads and 2 tablespoons for large loads. Also, the dry detergent works best washing in warm or hot water (the soap may not dissolve all the way in cold), so if you wash in cold a lot you might try the liquid.

You will still have enough Washing Soda and Borax to do another batch, you will just need to get another bar of Zote.

(I took pictures, but am having trouble getting the camera to upload, so when I fix that I'll add them.)

2 comments:

  1. I have been doing the same thing, but with 1 cup of each of the powders and 1 bar of ANY soap, we have been using Jergens, or Felsnaptha, So far with this combination it washes better then TIDE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't find Felsnaptha here and the bar of Zote is three times its size, so I just tripled it, but you're right and you can use any bar of soap. The measurements would be 1 cup each of the powdered soaps for every 5oz bar soap, approximately. I like the whitening aspect of the Zote and it has a very, very slight perfume smell so I don't have to scent it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails